Professor in Design and Dress History position
University of Brighton
Based at Grand Parade, Brighton
£55,908 – £59,306 per annum at Grade 10
£59,306 – £62,908 per annum at Grade 11
The University of Brighton is seeking a high calibre, inspirational individual to join the Faculty of Arts to play a major role in helping to shape the future of the subject through research and intellectual leadership.
The Faculty of Arts is recognized as a centre of excellence in design and dress history, material culture and museum studies and, as a leader in the field for three decades, our thriving research cluster has an international reputation. The Faculty is also the home of the Design Archives and the Screen Archive South East, both of which provide dedicated resources for research and scholarship. The Faculty has a healthy postgraduate design history society and continues to offer dedicated undergraduate and postgraduates courses in these fields.
The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience in their field and have, where required, an understanding of professionally accredited courses. Experience in the management and leadership of courses, curriculum development, and teaching and research at undergraduate and postgraduate levels is essential. Job sharers welcome.
The main functions of the role are to:
• provide leadership in a combination of teaching, research and community and economic engagement including responsibility for significant elements of the work of the school;
• to develop good practice and expertise in teaching learning and assessment, both personally and throughout the school collaborating with external organisations both nationally and abroad;
• to contribute actively to quality assurance processes;
• to continue to develop a national and international reputation in research, making a significant contribution to the development and management of research in the subject area and publishing regularly in journals;
• to supervise research students to completion.
Essential criteria for the role are:
• PhD in Design or Dress History;
• a substantial publication record and/or exhibitions in the field and a distinctive international research profile in the field;
• demonstrable experience of working across theoretical and historical approaches to art and design practices/dress, design, material and visual culture at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
• a comprehensive knowledge of research and teaching in higher education in the UK and internationally in the field of design and dress history and the skill to work effectively across the arts and humanities;
• a proven ability and experience in leading and developing design and design history research expertise within an academic team;
• experience of PhD supervision to successful completion and the ability to lead and teach at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
• an ability to formulate and develop research projects and groups and to develop and lead successful research grant applications.
Call (01273) 642849 (24 hours) or visit www.brighton.ac.uk/humanresources/jobs.html